The process of aging is a natural cycle of growth and maturity where we come to understand what is important to us in our lives. In a healthy aging process, we grow out of and discard the things that do not have lasting value and meaning. Healthy people naturally follow and enjoy this process.
In macrobiotics, we approach aging with the attitude that we have the ability to grow and create our health through all stages of our lives. As we age, we get better at creating our life. In healthy aging, our thinking ability, mental clarity, and memory enhances and becomes more powerful. Aging is something that we can look forward to and enjoy.
The natural anti-aging secrets are good nutrition, good digestion, and good circulation. These things enhance our ability to continually clean, refresh, and renew ourselves.
- Planning meals around whole grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits
- Have a variety of naturally pickled and fermented foods (miso, natural vinegars, pickles, sauerkraut, micro-brewed beer)
- Choose foods that can naturally store for long periods of time without canning and artificial preservation
- Include variety in the selection of ingredients and methods of preparations for meals
These foods and practices in combination create an abundant balance of all nutrients essential for health, longevity, and vitality.
- Sit down to eat without doing other things.
- Eat slowly and chew your food well
- Stop eating at least two hours before bedtime
These practices improve your digestion, help you eat less, and feel more satisfied. Digestion begins in the mouth, and chewing well helps to keep your condition more alkaline. Sleeping on an empty stomach helps your body clean and repair itself while you rest.
- Outdoor activities including walking
- Rub your skin with a hot damp cloth for ten to fifteen minutes everyday
- Adopt practices that encourages natural, deep, and rhythmic breathing
Activity outside cleans and refreshes our energy. Rubbing our skin deeply cleans and renews our skin and activates our circulation in the deepest parts of our body. Practices such as yoga, tai chi, qigong, and meditation naturally bring in more oxygen, keep us fresh, and promote health and longevity.
Bonus: sleep and rise early