When you think of calcium, you might associate it with milk and dairy products. Though milk and other dairy products do provide some calcium, the calcium is not high quality. Cows get calcium through eating grass and plants. That being the case, calcium from cows is second hand. Therefore, the best way to get calcium is eating plant-based foods. So how do you get calcium in a vegan diet? Let’s take a look.
To learn how to incorporate macrobiotics into your life, schedule time with Denny now!
Calcium offers a multitude of benefits that can be accomplished via a plant-based vegan diet. Calcium benefits include:
- Calcium is the main mineral that neutralizes acidity in the body. Plant based calcium is especially important at this time to help keep an alkaline condition and strengthen our immunity to viral diseases.
- Assist in human bone development. Contrary to the public belief, people who eat a plant-based vegan diet produce the strongest and healthiest bones. Those who eat dairy are more likely to get osteoporosis. That is because diary foods are highly acidic. A high acidic diet weakens the body and bone strength.
- Help bone and teeth formation
- Further maintain individual’s strength
- Play a role in the movement of muscles
- Assist nerves in relaying messages between the brain and other body parts
- Allow one’s blood vessels relax and constrict in order to promote regular blood flow throughout the body
- Release hormones and enzymes that help with various bodily functions
Calcium Plant-Based Foods
LEAFY GREEN VEGETABLES
Every vegan diet includes a consistent use of leafy green vegetables, which provide some of the highest levels of calcium for vegans. Examples of leafy greens include collard and turnip greens, broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, and bok choy. Not only do these vegetables nourish you with calcium, they can also be added in almost any meal. Here is a great miso soup recipe with leafy greens.
BEANS AND LENTILS
Beans and lentils are rich in protein, iron, and calcium, which are three minerals essential to any vegan diet. Luckily, beans and lentils are relatively cheap to buy, which may not be the case for other vegan food options. Similar to leafy green vegetables, beans and lentils are a versatile calcium food source that can be included in many meals. Here is a delicious vegan burrito recipe.
Best soy products are tofu and tempeh. Tofu and tempeh contain high amounts of calcium. Tempeh is an Indonesian product that is made from fermented soybeans, whereas tofu is unfermented. Regardless, both provide calcium and health benefits such as minimizing digestive or chronic disease, contrary to milk and dairy products. Here is a simple salad recipe with tofu.
Start Eating a Calcium-Rich Vegan Diet
A plant-based vegan diet is not only calcium-rich, but also provides you a multitude of other natural minerals and nutrients that your body needs. When you start eating plant-based, your physical and mental health drastically improve. This diet makes individuals feel younger inside and out. In addition, plant-based diets often reduce your risks for high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, heart problems, and so on.
With over 45 years of experience, Denny Waxman is an accredited macrobiotic counselor ready to help you feel better through diet and lifestyle. Contact Denny Waxman to schedule a macrobiotic consultation session today.
For more interesting articles about nutrition, macrobiotics, and living a healthy lifestyle, please visit Denny’s macrobiotic blog.
Leave A Comment