Susan and I were flying back from Milan on February 10 when we received emails alerting us that if we had visited mainland China during the 14 days before our flight we could be denied entry to the United States or quarantined. We saw a few couples stopped from boarding our United Airlines flight. And I observed one couple who went across the way to Delta Airlines and again turned away. Thankfully, we were able to come back to the US. However, the spread of coronavirus continues to be a major concern across the world. So here are my thoughts on the coronavirus.
To learn how to incorporate macrobiotics into your life, schedule time with Denny now!
The coronavirus is creating mass panic. This is problematic as fear and stress makes us acidic and lowers our resistance to illness. When we are acidic we are not able to utilize oxygen properly and immunity and many bodily processes are weakened. So it is even more important to start or keep to a healthy diet and lifestyle. Dietary and lifestyle practices that are naturally alkalizing make abundant nutrients and more oxygen available in our blood. In addition to strengthening our immunity, all bodily processes and thinking ability.
Hopefully, it will turn out that the coronavirus is no worse than the common flu even though it seems to spread more easily. In my experience if a healthy person gets the flu it turns out to be a mild case. Strong health does not mean that we never get sick. If you are tired, over-stressed or rundown you may get a cold, flu or possibly even the coronavirus. Strong health means that we have the ability to recover quickly and efficiently by natural means using daily foods and home remedies. Sickness is always a warning sign that we need to make some changes and take better care.
We all have the natural ability to maintain health. It may be wise to use the coronavirus as an opportunity to strengthen our own health and that of our loved ones. Here are some guidelines to strengthen resistance to all viral and bacterial infections. Of course, good nutrition, keeping your home clean and orderly, getting good sleep by early to bed and early to rise, washing your hands and avoiding contact are the first measures to adopt.
Things to Avoid
- The combination of dairy food and fructose weakens our immunity. I have found this combination to be the most harmful for a wide variety of problems. High fructose corn syrup, agave nectar and concentrated fruit sweeteners seem to be the worst.
- Illnesses that come in the spring are usually caused by and worsened by animal foods so it is important to avoid all meat, poultry and eggs.
- Simple sugars, artificial sweeteners and refined carbohydrates should also be avoided.
- Eat grains with every meal. Brown rice, barley, farro, millet and buckwheat are especially helpful.
- Have at least one vegetable dish with every meal including breakfast.
- Include a variety of cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, arugula, kale, daikon, etc.).
- Try to keep grains and vegetables relatively equal by volume on your plate.
- Have a wide variety of blanched vegetables and steamed greens often or daily.
- Try to have miso soup or clear shoyu soup several times a week or daily.
- Have a variety of other healthful foods including beans, tofu, tempeh, seeds, nuts and fruits.
- Use seaweed in cooking (kombu and wakame) and as side dishes (arame or hiziki).
- Use dried shiitake and dried maitake in soups and other dishes.
- Have naturally pickled and fermented foods daily including miso or shoyu soup, sauerkraut or kimchi, umeboshi plums, unyeasted sourdough bread, brown rice or apple cider vinegar or umeboshi vinegar.
- Drink bancha twig tea, roasted barley tea, dandelion root tea or filtered water.
Lifestyle Practices to Keep You Alkaline:
- Eat slowly and chew your food well until it is liquid.
- Try not to overeat.
- Walk outside at least 30 minutes a day.
- Rub your entire body gently with a hot, damp cloth daily for about 15 minutes to activate your lymph and circulation and deeply clean your skin.
- Practice breathing, meditation, yoga or chi-kung daily.
- Laugh and have good conversations.
- Reflect on and marvel at nature, it’s beauty and endless ability to regenerate.
If you should come down with the coronavirus or flu, contact a qualified macrobiotic counselor for guidance, in addition to seeking medical attention. I have found that steamed green apples and oranges are the most effective for the flu.
A LIVE Webinar on the coronavirus will be hosted Saturday, March 14 @ 4pm EST. I will expand upon this information and explain what it means for you. For more details, click here.
Check out The Ultimate Guide to Eating for Longevity for more details about health supporting lifestyle practices and delicious healthful recipes. There are also a variety of macrobiotic cookbooks that have wonderful and supportive recipes.
For more interesting articles about nutrition, macrobiotics, and living a healthy lifestyle, please visit Denny’s macrobiotic blog.
Thank you Denny this was very helpful
Excellent post, Denny. Very worthwhile reading and reflecting on. Thanks.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and insights. An easy to ready and well- communicated reminder that health lies in our hands and is fueled by our own decision-making.
Thank you for your comments!
Farro! Haven’t seen mentioned too much
We use it and recommend it on a regular basis.
Denny your sound principles and voice of reason are such a welcome clarifier in a world full of fear and uncertainty. Thank you for helping us all manage and live our lives with our families and loved ones with your consistent and clear messages.
Thank you for your kind words Nancy!
Thank you Denny for your helpful input during these times. It seems more important than ever to be dedicated to a healthy life style, diet and postive outlook. Keep on inspiring.
Thanks Mary! Hopefully common sense will begin to prevail over fear and panic.
Great article Denny, and so true!!
Thank you for the wonderful information! We need more voices of reason right now
Thanks Trish! It is time to let the world know about the wonders and value of macrobiotics.
Thank you Denny. Always have found and continue to find your wisdom a source of comfort, as well as, a gentle reminder of what we should all inherently know.
i started macrobiotics in 1970 and 1st met kushi in 1972 where the guru was giving lectures in a church attic in bay bay boston
over the last 50 years i have often eaten foods that were not perfect but i have not eaten red meat since 1970
the person who made the most sense to me about yin and yang was jaques de langre and this blog of denny discusses alkaline which in my opinion is the best defense against any sickness including the virus
i have been convinced that silver nano particles are one of the most important ways to stop the virus along with ozone in the water
i have discussed many times the idea of whay the energy of silver in nano particles works with dr james paul miller of boston university and fermilab who was once long ago the asst to richard feynman who many consider = einstein
there is an article about this in the national institure of health which is almost unknown to most but in my opinion is straight yin and yang
kushi came to costa rica in the early 1980s and said this could become the 1st macrobiotic country—–we are still waiting and hoping for this to be true
Thank you for your comments Alan.
Wonderful post! Thank you!
Thank you for your comment!
Thank you for your devotion to sharing good health and well being!