1) Intense cravings. Unsatisfied intense cravings tend to disappear. These cravings often signify that we are eliminating that type of food from our body and we intensely crave it as it leaves. The best thing to do with these cravings is to take attention away from them and place our focus elsewhere. These cravings usually disappear quickly. If it is something our body needs, these cravings will persist.
2) The other type of craving is that of a persistent or recurring craving, usually caused by an actual need. These are more complicated and try handling them in the following way.
- You like chocolate, but you decide you don’t want to eat it anymore and so you cut it out.
- Then, you crave chocolate.
- Take a moment to consider what it is about the chocolate that you crave.
- Chocolate is essentially concentrated fats and sweets.
- You may just be craving more high-quality rich and sweet food in your diet.
- Or your diet may be too simple.
During a chocolate craving, try substituting walnuts and raisins or make a dessert with tahini or a nut-butter and natural sweeteners. They will probably satisfy the craving and are healthier choices.=
If you’re craving animal protein or cheese, it often signifies a need for more richness in your diet from plant protein and oil (tahini and other nut butters).
The best way to handle consistent cravings is to break the specific craving down into its components (taste and consistency) and then make a choice with healthier options. If the cravings don’t disappear, try satisfying them with high quality foods.
1) Yin Yang. Sweet cravings (yin cravings), for many, are a result of eating too much animal foods, cheese, baked or toasted and salty foods (yang foods). Reducing or eliminating heavy yang foods will diminish much of the sweet craving.
2) Crunchy foods create cravings for more crunchy foods. Sweets create cravings for sweets, caffeine for caffeine. Imbalances perpetuate themselves and it seems difficult recognizing this pattern. Fortunately though, balances also perpetuate themselves. Moving towards balance is the most effective way to overcome cravings.
A baby begins to make demands and choices from the very beginning. Many women know they’re pregnant just from cravings. Babies first choose from the mother’s blood. If it is not present in her blood, they seek it out in her constitution (teeth, hair, bones). If what the baby seeks is not there either, babies call for take-out, which is a pregnancy craving.
My entire approach is not on avoiding cravings, but to help create a healthy, natural pattern of balance.
With over 45 years of experience, Denny Waxman has worked to improve the lives of many through the macrobiotic diet. Macrobiotics are known for their abilities to reduce the effects and risks of aging, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and many other diseases. Through his hour-long nutrition consultations, Denny Waxman has given hundreds of individuals personalized recommendations to live a better life.
To learn more about the basics of the macrobiotic diet, contact Denny Waxman for personal macrobiotic counseling today or check out more blog articles.
Other resources include:
RELATED: Strong Constitution vs Delicate Constitution